I remember Gramma making pies at her apartment on Rose Street, and telling me, “When I was a girl, I used to watch my gramma make pies, and she would crimp the edges so fast you couldn’t see her hands moving.” –Jaime
Basic Pie Crust
- 2 cups flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening ((Crisco))
- Cold Water
- In mixing bowl, add Salt to Flour.
- Cut 1/2 cup shortening into flour with knife or pastry cutter.
- Cut in the remaining shortening until pea-like.
- Dribble 5 tablespoons cold water into mixture, lightly fluffing with a fork.
- When water is through the mixture, roll into balls.
- If you work the dough too much or add too much water, the dough will be tough.
- Divide dough into 2 equal balls
- Dust a board or pastry cloth with flour
- Roll Dough ball out until about 1/8″ thin and a minimum of 12″ diameter
- Handle as little as possible when rolling out.
- Pie crust freezes, so you can make ahead of time.
- Makes enough for 2 pies.
Leave a Reply