The secret is to form a free-standing loaf so that a large surface area is exposed. I’m not a big fan of ketchup on meat loaf, but you can certainly add up to 1/2 cup if you want.
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Cook Time 45 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes
- Servings 3
- Author Steve
- 1 pound ground beef I use 10% fat Ground Sirloin
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs Panko work best for me
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- ketchup to taste
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp beef boullion
- 1 tsp Gravy Master
- salt and pepper
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- saute onions in a little olive oil until translucent
- in large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until just combined, don’t over work the mixture
- form mixture into a loaf in a large roasting pan making sure that the loaf does not touch the sides
- bake 45 minutes or until thermometer registers 155 in the center
- transfer loaf to serving dish and cover with tin foil
To make gravy
- pour out most of the grease, reserving drippings.
- mix 2 tbsp cold water and flour (equal parts) together.
- stir into pan with a little salt and pepper and beef bouillon.
- add about 1 cup total water
- add Gravy Master for color if desired