Now Gramma suggests going to the supermarket and buying a boxed cake mix for busy days.
Busy Day Cake
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon “flavoring” (try vanilla)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Mix shortening, milk, egg, and flavoring together and add at once.
- Bake in 9″ round pan 25 to 35 minutes.
- Cool and frost as desired.
Spice Cake: Omit the flavoring, and sift in:
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
Add 2 squares of melted unsweeted chocolate to the milk and egg mixture.