This recipe dates back to Gramma’s high school days in Home Economics in 1931 or 1932. She learned how to make white sauce, “blemage,” (a white, bland custard), fudge and penuche frosting. The other subject was sewing.
Easy Penuche Icing
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar (approximately)
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Add the brown sugar and boil over low heat 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in milk and bring to boil.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar until thick enough to spread.